Frequently Asked Questions
- Who should volunteer?
- Each club that sends RYLA students is asked to send volunteers. In addition, we welcome volunteers from other clubs as well. No prior experience is needed!
- How long is the time commitment for volunteers?
- It depends on which time block(s) you choose… Time blocks vary from about 3 to 6 hours (10 hours for Night Monitors). You should also plan for commuting time, as well as parking and check-in.
- What if I need to leave early?
- We ask that you stay for the full time-block(s) that you've signed up for, to help ensure that the RYLA program runs smoothly. (Emergencies will of course be accommodated.)
- Can I volunteer for more than one time slot?
- Many volunteers sign up for more than one time block… in fact, you can even sign up for multiple days.
- Can I specify my preference for job role?
- We will do our best to assign you to your preferred volunteer role, however limited resources may require us to make scheduling adjustments.
- Do volunteers have to be Rotarians? - i.e., can my spouse or partner help? What about a friend?
- Spouses/partners and even friends are welcome. Adults only.
- Do I need to have any particular skills, or CPR certification, or anything like that?
- No special skills are needed. (However, if you do have special skills, you may want to mention that when you check in.)
- Is there any kind of training provided?
- If you're a first-time volunteer, you'll most likely be given a support role, which includes on-the-job training.
There is an orientation/training session held the week before RYLA. It is not mandatory, but highly recommended.
All Session Leaders must be trained prior to RYLA Weekend.
- Where is RYLA held?
June 22–24, 2018
Fitchburg State University
160 Pearl St. Fitchburg, MA
(978) 665-3000Most sessions will be held indoors at Hammond Campus Center (160 North Street). On Saturday, some sessions are outside in the quad. The Closing Ceremony will be held on campus in Weston Auditorium (353 North Street).
PARKING is conveniently located right near the Hammond Campus Center. Look for RYLA signs.
- Will I need to pay for parking?
- No, free on-campus parking is available.
- Do I need to check in somewhere?
- YES - All volunteers must check in at the information desk in the Campus Center upon arrival. This is very important as it allow us to confirm any last minute scheduling changes and for us to answer any questions you might have.
- Do I need to get there early?
- Please arrive early enough to park, check in, and get to your building/classroom prior to the session start time.
- What should I wear?
- We encourage volunteers to wear RYLA gear, items with the Rotary logo, comfortable clothes and comfortable shoes, in that order of preference. It’s a campus environment, so casual attire is fine! Note: some activities are outside. The Closing Ceremony is a little more formal.
- What about food?
- If your volunteer hours overlap any meals, we will feed you well, at no charge.
- If I’m volunteering for more than one day, are there overnight accommodations?
- Yes, limited space is available; please let us know in advance. If you plan to stay overnight, please indicate that on the Signup Form so we can provide you with a “back-to college” experience :)
- Will my club get any kind of credit for this?
- YES! This counts as a Youth Service activity, and it's a great thing to put on your club's Presidential Citation application!
If you have questions that aren’t answered here,
please Contact Us.