Important Info for Volunteers
IMPORTANT - Please Read !!
PLEASE REVIEW THIS INFORMATION
before clicking on the Volunteer Now button.
IN A NUTSHELL:
- We need lots of people to help with the 3-day RYLA Conference, held annually on the last weekend in June.
- You can volunteer for just a few hours, or the whole weekend – it’s up to you!
- No special skills or abilities are needed.
- Volunteers must be 18 years or older.
- REMINDER: Each club that sends RYLA students is expected to send volunteers; ideally, two volunteers for every student sent to RYLA.
ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST:
… ABIDE BY Rotary's Youth Protection Policy
… CHECK IN at the RYLA Information Desk immediately upon arrival
… FOLLOW the directions of the Session Leader. They are the ultimate authority for your shift.
WHO CAN VOLUNTEER
- Rotarians, Previous RYLANs, Family and Friends of Rotarians or Previous RYLANs
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Volunteers are specifically asked NOT to bring their children. An exception may be made for extenuating circumstances; please contact the Volunteer Coordinator IN ADVANCE. Parent/Guardian is solely responsible for child's comfort and safety. Please keep in mind that some RYLA activities can be extremely loud.
WHAT KIND OF HELP IS NEEDED
- Assist the session leader in time keeping, observing student reactions/behavior, constructive feedback at the end of the session, and any other supporting tasks the session leader needs assistance with. Come ~10 minutes early to your session and we'll give you a quick overview of the session and let you know how you can help.
- First-Aiders & Counselors
- Provide first aid and/or counseling support during the day
(for individuals who are healthcare professionals, therapists, guidance counselors, or ministers)
- Info Desk / Welcomers
- Help staff the information desk during the day.
- Other Helpers
- … as described on the signup form
NOTE: We will do our best to assign you to your preferred volunteer role, however, limited volunteer availability may require us to make scheduling adjustments. It is very important that you check in when you arrive. This will allow us to confirm any last minute scheduling changes and for us to answer any questions you might have.
If you enjoy working with youth-minded people and would like to contribute to the RYLA7910 planning throughout the year, please Contact Us.
VOLUNTEER SHIFTS (Time Slots)
Time slots vary depending on day and activity. Please refer to the signup form for specifics.
NOTE: We encourage volunteers to volunteer for a:
morning (approx 8 AM to 12 PM)
afternoon (approx 12 PM to 5 PM)
evening (approx 5 PM to 10 PM)
overnight monitor (approx 10 PM to 7 AM)
However, if you'd like to be present at RYLA and have special time constraints, please specify that in your signup.
We believe that you will find the experience to be enjoyable, educational, and gratifying.
ARRIVAL TIME & SCHEDULE NOTE
Since each day's schedule is different, please consult the schedule details for each day and shift that you will be volunteering for.
Please arrive early enough to park, check in, and get to your building/classroom assignment. We ask that you check in at least 30 minutes prior to the start of your shift. Please remember to allow extra time for traffic and parking.
Volunteer Check-In is inside Hammond Student Center.
There is free on-campus parking available. Parking is conveniently located right near the Hammond Campus Center. Look for RYLA signs.
Volunteers: Please check in 30 minutes prior to your shift for on-the-job training.
All Session Leaders must be trained prior to the RYLA Conference.
FOOD & DRINK
If your volunteer hours overlap any meals, we will feed you well, at no charge.
Free water and snacks are provided throughout the day. Volunteers may also bring their own snacks, cups of coffee, etc.
Non-Committee adult volunteers who would like to request accommodations, please indicate so on the signup form. We will review your request and examine space availability and costs. If on-campus rooms are unavailable, we may recommend an offsite choice within close proximity.
We encourage volunteers to wear RYLA gear, items with the Rotary logo, comfortable clothes and comfortable shoes, in that order of preference. It’s a campus environment, so casual attire is fine! Note: some activities are outside. The Closing Ceremony is a little more formal.
MISC. POLICY NOTES
Alcoholic beverages are not allowed on the premises.
RYLA, Rotary District 7910 and the RYLA Committee are not liable for stolen or damaged personal property.
Youth Protection Policy
Rotary International, Rotary District 7910 and Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) youth protection policy apply to all volunteers who participate at RYLA. All volunteers must agree and adhere to this policy while participating in any capacity in support of the conference. When arriving at volunteer check in, all RYLA volunteers will be required to sign a Youth Protection Policy Affidavit. No volunteer will be allowed to participate until proper disclosure of and acknowledgement to said policy is completed.